Patients often pull back the skin around their jawline and ask me what they can do to tighten it. Neck lifting is a popular surgical procedure amongst both men and women wanting shape and definition restored to their neck and jawline. This surgical procedure is a chosen alternative for patients who desire a refreshed, youthful appearance but are not ready for the full rejuvenation a facelift delivers.
Common Concerns in patients seeking a Neck Lift
- Loose skin along the neck & jawline
- Horizontal skin creasing
- Crepe-like skin texture
- Presence of a double chin
- Difficulty wearing high collars
Difference between a Facelift and Neck Lift
This is a very common question as these procedures are closely related and are often combined depending on the desired outcome. To differentiate the two:
- A neck lift concentrates on the neck, including the jawline. The goal of a neck lift is to correct the signs of aging in the neck and jawline by removing excess skin and tightening muscles in the neck.
- A facelift addresses the mid face, including the jawline. The goal of a facelift is to correct the signs of aging in the cheeks, nasolabial folds and jawline by removing excess skin and tightening muscles in the face.
The continuity of skin prevents complete separation of the face and neck therefore facelift and neck lift surgery will both benefit the jawline. During your consultation, Dr Choroomi will simulate the results of both procedures and discuss surgical options based on your skin’s laxity, age and rejuvenation goals.
Neck Lift Consultation with Dr Choroomi
Your facial anatomy is unique and distinctive, therefor all surgical treatments must be individually customized to match your aesthetic needs and desires. During your consultation, Dr Choroomi will
- Examine the skin and contours of your face and neck.
- Listen to your concerns and discuss why you desire neck lift surgery, including expectations ad desired outcomes.
- Explain neck lift surgery procedure and recovery.
- Review treatment options and answer any questions.
Photography and digital imaging can be performed to give you an idea of what your jawline and neck may look like after neck rejuvenation surgery.
Neck Lifting Procedure
Dr. Choroomi’s preferred technique for neck rejuvenation surgery is an extended deep-plane neck lift. This novel approach to neck lifting targets both the skin and deep soft tissue layers creating smooth, natural, long lasting result.
Three small incisions are discreetly made, one around each ear to remove excess skin and one under the chin to tighten and restructure the underlying muscles in the neck. Once the appropriate work involving the underlying tissue is complete and excess skin is removed, incisions are meticulously sutured, hiding any signs of an operation.
Recovery after Neck Lift Surgery
During your pre-operative appointment, Dr Choroomi will provide you with specific aftercare instructions. Even though neck lifting results can be seen almost immediately, the recovery time is approximately 2 weeks. During this time you can expect:
- A tight bandage placed around your head for 1-2 days
- Minor pain lasting 1-2 days
- Minor swelling will improve gradually
- Numbness around the ears
- Bruising around the jawline and sides of the face
Sutures will be removed after 8 days and you may typically resume physical activity after 2 weeks. Dr. Choroomi will schedule follow up appointments to monitor and assess your recovery following neck rejuvenation surgery.
Non-Invasive Alternatives to Neck Lift Surgery
There are non-surgical options that can rejuvenate the neck and jawline without a lengthy recovery, however they cannot achieve the same amount of skin tightening as a surgical neck lift.
If you have mild skin laxity and are not yet ready to have neck lift surgery, these non-invasive treatments may help enhance and refresh your appearance:
- Facial Fillers can be used to sculpt and add volume to the face, resulting in a slight lifting of the jowls
- Anti-Wrinkle Injectables in the neck will relax the distinct banding appearance
- Laser Resurfacing treatments can improve the texture of the skin and have minor skin tightening effects.
Neck Lifts are often performed in combination with:
Facelift. A standard deep plane neck lift will address the jawline however patients with significant sagging or heavy cheeks may benefit from the full rejuvenation of a facelift.
Brow Lift surgery can be combined with a neck lift to correct sagging skin in the forehead, upper eyelids and eyebrows.
Eyelid Surgery is performed to address aged eyelids characterized by excess drooping skin, wrinkles and puffy bags. It may involve the upper eyelids, lower eyelids, or both.
Cheek and Chin Augmentation maybe performed in combination with a neck lift to enhance and restore balance to your overall appearance.
Rhinoplasty in combination with a neck lift can restore a youthful appearance by changing the aesthetic shape of your nose.