Nasal tip surgery addresses any concerns you may have with the bottom third of your nose. It is possible to surgically enhance the size or shape of the tip alone without altering the rest of your nose. Even a small change to the nasal tip can improve your appearance in a subtle yet dramatic way. This procedure is quite delicate, requiring experienced skill and an aesthetic eye to sculpt and refine the nasal tip cartilage. Nasal Tip refinement is an area of rhinoplasty where achieving a natural, lasting result is crucial as it can have a major impact on the look of your nose and your face as a whole.
Common Reasons to Have Nasal Tip Refinement
- Boxy or Bulbous Tip
- Flat or Wide Appearance
- Narrow or Pinched Tip
- Drooping Tip
- Retracted Nostrils
- Hanging Columella (area between your nostrils)
Am I a Candidate for Nasal Tip Refinement?
There are several aesthetic characteristics and functional reasons why patients choose to have nasal tip refinement surgery. If you are displeased with the tip of your nose because it is too boxy, wide, bulbous or narrow, you may benefit from this procedure. Many patients who have had a primary rhinoplasty seek this procedure because their nasal tip was made too narrow or has started to droop over time from improper structural support.
Often a drooping narrow tip can interfere with your ability to breathe normally. To test if this is the case for you:
- Drooping Tip: push the tip of your nose up with your finger.
- Narrow Tip: widen your nostrils with your fingers
If you experience breathing improvement from either test, nasal tip surgery may benefit you both cosmetically and functionally.
Consultation for Nasal Tip Refinement
During your initial consultation, Dr Choroomi will evaluate your nose and facial frame. Photography and digital imaging will be performed to show what cosmetic changes may be possible with nasal tip surgery.
You will have the opportunity to discuss:
- Why you desire nasal tip surgery, including expectations and desired outcomes
- Medical conditions
- Family medical history
- Use of current medications, vitamins, and herbal supplements
- Previous face and nose r surgeries
Based on your discussion and his assessment, Dr. Choroomi can determine if nasal tip surgery is right for you. Each patient’s facial and nasal structure is unique, therefor Dr Choroomi customizes surgical treatment to match your individual anatomy and aesthetic desires. Specific questions regarding surgical procedure, recovery risks, and results will be discussed in detail at your consultation to ensure that you are fully informed.
Preferred Methods for Nasal Tip Refinement
Nasal Tip surgery can be performed under general anesthesia through either an “open” or “closed” surgical procedure. In the “open” approach, a small incision is made through the columella. The skin and tissues are pulled away from the nose. Dr Choroomi typically prefers this method to nasal tip refinement as it gives superior view and access to the underlying bone and cartilage. A combination of various suturing and grafting techniques may be performed to support and refine the nasal tip.
For minor nasal tip correction, a closed approach may be used. Dr. Choroomi reserves this method for patients needing only the smallest amount of correction, as this must be achieved by operating directly through the nostrils.
Recovery after Nasal Tip Refinement
For isolated nasal tip surgery, the recovery is much shorter than a typical rhinoplasty procedure. Following surgery, a cast will be placed on the nose for protection as it starts to heal. After 7 days Dr. Choroomi will remove the cast and any sutures placed during surgery. Patients may return to normal activity and exercise 10 days following nasal tip surgery.
Bruising and swelling are minimal and should subside within a week after your operation. Although you may see immediate results, the shape will continue to refine and improve over the next 12 months.
Non-surgical options for Nasal Tip Refinement
Non-surgical rhinoplasty or ‘Injectable’ rhinoplasty is a treatment for patients who may be hesitant about having surgery, need a minor aesthetic correction or want an idea of what their nose could look like after nasal tip surgery. When dermal fillers are injected under the skin it may disguise a droopy nasal tip and smooth out any irregularities or asymmetry in the nose. While injectable rhinoplasty can disguise minor irregularities on the nose, it has its limitations on how much correction can be achieved. Changing the tip position or making the tip smaller can only be accomplished with a surgical procedure.
There is minimal discomfort and next to no downtime after injectable rhinoplasty, however, this treatment is only a temporary fix and will need to be maintained.
Patients have found that Nasal Tip surgery can provide dramatic results, especially when combined with other functional and cosmetic facial rejuvenation procedures.
- Functional Rhinoplasty: Often a drooping tip can interfere with your ability to breathe normally. Functional rhinoplasty may be performed to alleviate your breathing issues.
- Deviated Septum Surgery (Septoplasty) is performed to straighten a bent septum (the cartilage that separates your nostrils). When the septum is bent it can cause breathing issues that may affect sleeping and the quality of life.
- Sinus Surgery is often performed in combination to relieve any pain or pressure associated with sinusitis.
- A deep plane Face Lift is often done in combination to restore shape, balance and definition to an ageing face.
- Eyelid surgery is performed to address aged eyelids characterized by excess drooping skin, wrinkles and puffy under eye bags. It may involve the upper eyelids, lower eyelids, or both.
- Brow Lift surgery can be combined to correct sagging skin of the forehead, upper eyelids and eyebrows.
- Neck Lift surgery can restore shape, balance and definition to a neck that has been affected by age and gravity.
- Facial Implants including chin, jaw and cheek maybe performed in combination to enhance and restore balance to your face.
- Lip Lifting surgery can permanently increase the fullness of your lips resulting in a beautiful, youthful appearance.
- Fat Injections have a very long-lasting result and are a great alternative to dermal fillers. Fat is extracted from your tummy or thighs and replaced in the face where volume has been lost.